How to Prevent Fireplace Fires
As cooler weather brings in cozier, warmer homes, it is essential to take care of your chimney system if you plan to use it in the fall and winter seasons. Ensuring a clean chimney will prolong the fireplace life and usage for years to come.
How do Fireplaces cause Fires?
Material inside the chimney after several fires is called Creosote. It is the smoke that attaches to the inner chimney lining, creating a dark, sticky and flaky material is often the root cause of chimney fires. When creosote catches on fire, that is when inner liners, usually made out of clay or metal, can crack and become distorted from high temperatures.
When finding fuel to burn in your fireplace, stick with dry, large pieces of wood. Use newspaper or kindling to start the fire instead of gas or lighter fluid (unless your fireplace already has a fuel source.)
What do I do if My Fireplace Catches on Fire?
In the case where a fire may occur due to a dirty chimney, follow these steps on what to do:
- If you see that your fire is getting out of control, extinguish it immediately. You can’t see if your chimney is on fire on the inside, but you can reduce the amount of heat being produced by extinguishing the fire.
- If the fire is already out of control, be sure to get everyone out of the house.
- Call 911 if the fire is coming out the top of the chimney or the out the fireplace.
- Once the house is safe to re-enter, contact your insurance company and inform them of what had happened.
- Call SERVPRO of Denton to take care of the rest! From handling the fire and water damage to removing the odor, SERVPRO of Denton will restore your home “Like It Never Even Happened!”
SERVPRO of Denton specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility for regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. SERVPRO wants our team to be part of your team! Call us at (940) 566-2277 or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Check out Safety Tips for Grilling Season!