Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Tips from SERVPRO of Denton
In the aftermath of fire damage, there are several steps that we at SERVPRO of Denton take in our restoration process. The first step is always to call professionals to examine the extent of damage and begin to restore your property and possessions back to pre-fire damage condition. Your safety is always our biggest concern. After you have deemed that the situation and you are safe, then our professional team members will be able to mitigate the restoration process. To learn more about how our process as well as tips for your safety, give our offices a call (940) 514-8779 24/7!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (940) 566-2277
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.